If you are in a crisis situation where abuse, physical harm or illegal activity is involved, please call 911 right away. We are glad to help in any way we can after the legal authorities have been notified.
Before the age of 'Professional' Christian Counselors, Psychologists and Psychiatrists, pastors did the majority of counseling. Why is this? Because unlike the counselor who only has a brief snapshot of a person or family's life, the pastor has a larger picture over a greater amount of time. Further, the pastor is not constricted by APA guidelines or the most popular humanistic methods. Instead He or she is equipped and called by God and given the specific tools and insight by the Holy Spirit to help the individual.
In many states, pastors are not even allowed to identify that they give counsel. The pastor may be relegated to teaching once or twice a week, and administrating. Public teaching is only a small part of a pastor's role. The many unseen parts of a pastor's role include counseling, Biblical training, praying, and serving those whom the Lord brings his way.
Paul told Timothy,
"...preach the Word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction."
2 Timothy 4:2
Pastors are to spend time teaching with patience and instruction. This happens best during one-on-one discipleship, and sometimes small groups.
Our approach to pastoral counseling
1. Counseling is always kept private between the individual and the one giving counsel. The only exclusion to this is if we believe you are going to hurt yourself, someone else, or do something illegal.
2. Pastoral counseling is always based in the Word of God - primarily, and not in human wisdom. We say primarily, because there may be methods and principles of counseling applied to a given situation, however the Bible always takes priority over secular counseling methods.
3. Counseling with the opposite sex is never accomplished alone. If you are a organic (gender of birth) male, you will never be paired with a female counselor unless you are in a group or with your spouse or fiance'. Likewise, if you are a organic female, you will never receive counsel alone from a male. In some cases, we may require both gender counselors to be present. This is a rare occurrence, but caused by the times we living in.
"abstain from every appearance of evil"
1 Thessalonians 5:22
4. We desire for 'organic' problems to be dealt with by a medical professional. Some problems are caused by true health issues that may present as mental or spiritual issues. In some situations, we may ask for you to pay for, and meet with a medical doctor or naturopathic doctor (at your choice) for a full blood work up. This may help spot chemical (organic)l deficiencies.
5. All counseling is done on a space-available basis. Even if we schedule an appointment, we may cancel if certain situations arise that are more pressing.
For more information or immediate concerns, click the "Get Help" button on the bottom right of this page. Completing this will alert us any time of day or night.